14 August 2008

The God Delusion

I recently finished reading Richard Dawkins' book 'The God Delusion'. I bought the book, at my local Costco after reading the back cover, which lead me to believe that the book would provide a set of logical explanations and conclusively prove that God does not exist. After finishing the book this is my take on it.
Even though it tends to succeed in certain areas of the argument, I found the writing style to be pretty drab, meandering about, sometimes even rambling with no focus. It felt more like an attempt at a research paper with references being thrown all over the place, just to add credibility to the arguments. Yet at the end of it, I was thinking, is that all ? Is that all your argument is against the existence of God ?

I definitely loved the parts where he goes after organized religion....a pet peeve of mine too. About how religious orders and religious minutemen usurp the original intent of organized religion to be a provider of a social net for people to believe in and gain collective strength. That has long been lost in a maze of rituals and blind faith, bordering on fanaticism. Be it the Abrahamic faiths or the other major religions in the world, almost every one of them is guilty of such faulty principles, even though the original creators probably never had such intent in mind.

Yogi's Rating : 3 stars.

References:
Wikipedia
www.amazon.com

No comments: